Images on this blog have all been taken by me. Please e-mail me at pagus.soham@gmail.com if you wish to use any of them.

Follow this link to read about Pagus Soham and me.


Wednesday 20 June 2012

Herbs

No herb garden is complete without sage (Salvia officinalis) and this year has been a particularly good one, with masses of flowers which attract bees of every description.


Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) should be perennial, but it frequently doesn't make it through the winter, and if it does, it's not very vigorous the next year. This one, however, broke all the rules.


In Africa we grew perennial basil and it survived the winters there. Here, of course, it doesn't, but Ocimum kilimandscharicum × basilicum
is still worth growing, and also a great favourite with the bees. I have yet to succeed in over-wintering it, even indoors, where it just doesn't get enough light to survive. I'll try again this year.

Now it's back to the sage ...


... and the bees!