Images on this blog have all been taken by me. Please e-mail me at pagus.soham@gmail.com if you wish to use any of them.

Follow this link to read about Pagus Soham and me.


Monday 13 August 2012

The Mortuary Chapel

According to The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland  published in 1868, in our village "There is an Independent chapel, built in 1838, capable of accommodating 400 persons."   I suppose that number may have been possible, but it seems a bit optimistic to me.  The chapel, in Mill Lane, is no longer in use as a church, but does get the occasional airing, especially over the Christmas period when a candlelight dinner is sometimes held.  It is referred to as the Mortuary Chapel, but I don't believe this was its original function, despite its half-acre cemetery.

The bell tower seems to sit at an angle, but perhaps it's just the effect of perspective in the photograph.
The cemetery is left to wild flowers and grasses most of the year.
Ragwort (Jacobaea vulgaris) provides a splash of colour.


Several grand Scots pines (Pinus sylvestris) grow along the borders of the chapel land.

Barley grows in the fields outside the chapel grounds.